Caring for your Amish furniture
Proper care and cleaning will extend the life and beauty of your solid wood furniture and help ensure it stands the test of time for generations to come.
Things to remember:
- Catalyzed varnish must be dry on furniture for 30 days for full cure. This means that the clear coat of varnish on your furniture is not completely durable and chemical/moisture resistant until it has been on the wood for least 30 days.
- Wipe up spills and moisture immediately. Milky moisture rings can occur on catalyzed finish and will, in most cases, disappear on their own. They will take longer to disappear if your finish has not cured for at least 30 days. After 30 days, moisture rings can take up to a week to disappear.
- Prevent discoloration of finish and water rings by avoiding direct contact with moisture.
- Avoid scouring actions, placing hot objects on furniture, placing hot Styrofoam cups on furniture, and using rubber or silicone bumpers on the surface of furniture.
- Clean and maintain furniture with Heirloom Essentials® Spotless Cleanser and Fine Furniture Polish, available in store at Wood Grains. Heirloom Essentials products are made by the same company that makes most of the stains and finishes used on the furniture we sell, so you can trust this brand to provide quality care for all of your fine furniture.
Avoid these products:
DO NOT clean or polish your wood furniture with products that contain silicone, wax, or ammonia. These additives will damage varnish. Wax buildup on wood furniture will react to moisture, heat and solvents, causing hazing or blushing that would not typically occur on a clean surface. Silicone on furniture will make it virtually impossible to successfully refinish or repair the finish. Ammonia will soften all finishes with repeated use, making furniture sticky and causing deterioration of varnish. AVOID ANY USE OF AMMONIA ON FURNITURE.
Thank you for buying American-made furniture at Wood Grains! We sincerely appreciate your business, and hope you will shop with us again soon! In the meantime, we hope you enjoy your new furniture purchase as much as we have enjoyed serving you!